Friday, December 14, 2007

The Start of Something New

So this is my blog for my Christmas in Liberia. For those of you who don't know, it all started last semester in my Interactive Journalism class. I received an email from Tammy Tibbetts asking our class for a partner for a project. She already had talked with our professor and had a topic for a story. Her partner would be the web designer. It sounded perfect to me. I recognized Tammy from the Tutoring Center, and I knew she would be a good partner for the project. I had no idea what I was getting into when I sent her that email asking if she'd like me as her partner. 

Tammy did all of the writing and reporting for our digital storytelling project, and I did the web design. Our project was about MacDella Cooper, a Liberian refugee who went to our school and then started her own foundation in New York. The MacDella Cooper Foundation (MCF) has many projects, including raising money to help support and education children in Liberia. While we were working on our project, MacDella took a trip to Liberia and was away for a few weeks. Tammy and I talked about what our project would be like if we could follow MacDella to Liberia with a video camera. We were just being wishful thinkers at the time, but then the idea of a documentary popped into our heads. We knew that MacDella took volunteers and held a Christmas party for 600+ orphans in Liberia every year. Why couldn't we be those volunteers and take a camera with us? 

After we talked to MacDella, she agreed to let us make a documentary about her and her foundation's work. Now, my senior project is the documentary version of our digital storytelling project. This is why I'm going to Liberia this Christmas. Of course, I'm sad about not being at home for our traditional Polish dinner on Christmas Eve, for opening my stocking on Christmas morning, and for all of my family's other holiday traditions. But I'm excited, too. As Tammy says, it's an adventure. I think it'll be a Christmas I'll never forget. 

This blog is just so my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing in Liberia (and so that I won't forget it all later). If you want to read more sophisticated and professional writing, you can visit Tammy's blog. She's going to be blogging for marieclaire.com! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how you linked my photo sites which have nothing to do with anything! :)